Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 4 - July 10

I didn't get much sleep and kept waking up every half our or so since 4:30 AM.  We all got up around 6:30ish and decided to run today.  My clothes are looking and smelly brutal.  but nothing compares to Matt's shoes!!  I swear they move by themselves at night.

we made our way to the town center to get ready for the run.  We got our traditional cafe' solo's and marched right in.  My original plan was to hang out at the City Hall with Jen and watch the bulls run by me (hopefully by me and not into or over me).  We all headed down to watch and partake in the chant of San Fermin down into the belly of the beast, the Santo Domingo.  Matt and Dustin decided to start at the City Hall and run down the Mercaderes and aim for the famed hamburger corner (I let you figure it out why they call it hamburger corner).  Today's bulls were the famed Miura bulls.  Bag and bad.  The biggest run running today was 795 kilos.  You do the conversion.  As we went down and did the chant, I had a paper and mouthed something to look like I was singing.  Jen and I decided to just stay there for the run instead.  It is the narrowest part of the run second only the the Calejon, but with no fences to slide under just in case.  We had just walls on both sides.  The rocket went off at precisely 8 AM and in no time the rumbling roar of the bulls ran by.  You could feel the ground shake as they ran by.  We were only a mere few feet away from them.
Matt got some action but they ran by so fast it was hard to judge them.  Dustin had a good jump on them but as he rounded the corner into the Mercaderes his feet slipped out from under him and he took a spill just as the bulls raced by.  He scrambled up and over to the fence as he was pulled over the fence by the 112's.  He was told to get some medical attention as 2 female nurses tended to him.  Life wasn't so bad for him.  He had free anti-sceptic spray and was released.  He had 2 scraped knees and torn his pants just like me, but was in far better shape.
Afterwards we heard the 112's sirens a few times and some people got banged up.  There were no reported gorings but 10 people got medical attention. (one was Dustin).  The bulls ran fast today but behaved rather noble.
Tonight Matt, Dustin and Jen all went to the bullfights as I stayed at the hotel to update the blog and do some shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment