Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 2 - July 8


Both left and right knees

Sorry this is a bit late, but we had no internet access here and come to find out we have to pay for it on a 24 hour card.  So we might not have any updates until Wednesday.

Day 2, what can you say????
It was  good day and bad day all rolled into one.  I decided to try a new route today in the running.  My plan was to be in the Telefonica which is the part right before it bottle necks into the Callejon.  I was all set with Matt until the bulls can running by.  I started out well, but got caught up in the crowdwhen the bulls came by.  I tripped over people, (there were tons of them today)and fell to the ground.  I should have curled up into a ball and waited but my natural reaction is to get up and run/get out of the way.  Well I got up like an idiot and started to run again.  A few more steps and I was pushed/tripped over people who were on the ground.  Again, I go up and stated to run again (not smart) and for the final 3rd time fell again.  Luckily for me there were no bulls going by to get trampled or gored.  this is how the Spainard last year got gored and killed.  By the end I ran into the stadium but was utterly exhausted.  I found Matt and Dustin in the ring as we decided to get out.  Upon further inspection I had noticed that I tore my left leg pants scraped my knee up pretty good, scraped my right knee up but didn't tear that side of my pants!  I was slightly injured but alive with no goring or 112 visits. (112 is like our EMS medical people)  Matt and Dustin fared better but were disappointed with there run as well but were in much better shape than myself.  Jenny met us at the Hemmingway statue as we decided to head back home.

We headed back to San Sebastian and as we rolled out of the toll booth the Polizia pulled us over noticing our red and white outfits.  They had Matt blow into a breathalizer and blew a 0.00.  The cops said perfect.  We don't drive and run, then drive!!  But they did haggle us a bit as they asked Matt for his international drivers license but had none to offer the police.   Eventually they let us go saying we are luck because Spain is so nice and no other country would let us off the hook.  Yea right.  Wait till they see the photo radar speeds........

We got back and had some explosive gelato to cool down.  When we got to our loft Jenny played doctor and cleaned me up with some wipes.  That stung just a bit.  After a semi quick shower, (stinging soapy water) we headed to the beach for a while.  After an hour or so we left and I was already starting to fell a bit burned.  Yup, my back was pink and I burned the top of my feet.  And I even used sun screen sort of.

All in all it was an eventful day with a zing of danger thrown in.  But we were all mostly healthy.
 Matt.....doing??????
Some of the waves in San Sebastian

No comments:

Post a Comment